• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Request] Request for Assistance with Modding COD: BO using Mod Tools
Good day,

I posted this initially on the official Call of Duty: Black Ops forums (this link - http://community.callofduty.com/thread/2...jb3Cj-2ado) and just wanted to give it as much exposure as I could for feedback. In short, I have a request to look into modding BlOps. I knew nothing about how to mod, but I am well-versed in various programming languages. The first thing I wanted to do was learn what tools were needed (and found that Mod Tools was available), then got familiar with the syntax, file structure, etc. I have a good handle on the file structure, but am still having a lot of trouble finding resources specific to my next goals. I've run through tutorials (like this one from this site.) Again, the details are in the post on COD's website, but my overall goals are to:
  • Find a comprehensive tutorial that walks me through building a mod that teaches how to build HUD elements (which I understand this part), manage client/server variables (which I have a good handle on this), add custom assets (weapon models/textures designed in Maya, skyboxes, character models/skins, maps, etc), create custom callbacks or use existing ones to detect keypresses and other events, and add new gametypes.
  • Find a well-documented API that lists all of the functions, scopes, and signatures. I have found ZeRoY's Call of Duty Script Reference, but it isn't quite what I am looking for. Instead, I am looking for something more like the Java API.

In any case, my request for help is anyone who can help me find these resources or teach me about any of the points that are listed. I am going to spend today writing code that goes through all of the gsc files in the raw folder and extracts the functions and their bodies and makes a database out of it so that I can maybe build my own API. If I am able to make a decent resource, I will certainly share it.

Thank you in advanced.

PS, I saw that there used to be a wiki.treyarch.com with tutorials and such, but no longer exists...
http://www.itsmods.com/forum/Forum-Moddi...rials.html

check it out -.-
Unfortunately, there's no API list.
C++/Obj-Cdeveloper. Neko engine wip
Steam: Click
(09-16-2013, 14:22)d0h! Wrote: http://www.itsmods.com/forum/Forum-Moddi...rials.html

check it out -.-

Good day and thank you for your reply. I have and will continue looking through this. It is difficult to weed through sometimes, but I have been able to find a lot of good information by reading through the forum. Again, I have not found a comprehensive tutorial that includes information about those specific questions that I have.
Well I have all the gsc functions for black Ops but none of it is documented. Making your own weapons is easy there are hundreds of tutorials. I'll find some links later to help you out
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
[Image: UGPjFJa.jpg]
(09-16-2013, 15:34)DidUknowiPwn Wrote: Well I have all the gsc functions for black Ops but none of it is documented. Making your own weapons is easy there are hundreds of tutorials. I'll find some links later to help you out

That would be much appreciated, and helpful. Since you specifically mentioned weapons, here is a little information on what I have done. I went through the [Tutorial] .Gsc Modding for Beginners, which walks me through modding a gametype to give a weapon when spawning. I also saw a youtube tutorial that showed how to mod a weapon using asset manager in Mod Tools to change a 3-round burst weapon to full auto, and adding it to the zone source. The last thing I want to mention is that I saw a youtube video where someone ripped a weapon model from duke nukem and exported it to maya. Then, they named some IK handles and imported used the COD Tools menu to export it to something readable by COD. I created my own model of a gun with textures in maya and tried to follow his steps from there, but can't seem to get it to load into my test mod.
Weapon:
GSC Functions: http://pastebin.com/uqZiumDu
It applies to everywhere (talking about the weapon).
(09-16-2013, 18:11)DidUknowiPwn Wrote: Weapon:
GSC Functions: http://pastebin.com/uqZiumDu
It applies to everywhere (talking about the weapon).

I will watch the hour long one when I am on a better connection. Watching other tutorials from the same youtube user and it seems to be what I am trying to work towards as far as adding a weapon.

Regarding the functions dump: that is what the code I wrote this morning is doing, but I'm also keeping the parameters and the body of the function as my pseudo API. Each time I go to use a function, I will look it up in my database and describe what it does, and tag it as well. In any case, thanks for the vid.

It did prompt a related question. Could I apply the tutorials I have and will watch for other CoD titles (like WaW) to BlOps?
Pretty much they're almost the same so yeah.....
Just finished watching the video and it seems to have pertinent information. I understand adding things to source and using existing files as templates. I'm going to see if I can export my weapon, give it custom sounds (random sounds)...hopefully the WaW directory structure isn't that different. There were a few things I saw that are going to be different, but I'll tackle them when I get to them. My notes for the video are below. The notes are really for me, and again, I'm working towards putting together a comprehensive resource for myself that I will be happy to share when I'm done. My code read 1899 gsc files and found all of the functions within. I've logged the includes for each file, function signatures, bodies, returns, and comments (which there are very few comments. Mostly the "this file is autogenerated. do not modify" lines.)

The next thing I'm doing is finding where one function calls a function from another file (barring the imports). Example: maps\_hud_message::waitTillNotifiesDone();

Other things to do are to find all functions called on Self, Level, etc. what variables are created on each of those by each function.

I'm still looking for more resources on how to setup callbacks. For now, I will keep watching/reading tutorials as time allows.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Discussion] Purchasing mod tools Rendflex 22 10,978 11-10-2013, 02:58
Last Post: Pozzuh
  [Request] Airdrop Heaven mod The_Reaper_1 0 2,302 09-10-2013, 14:13
Last Post: The_Reaper_1
  [Request] Request for !afk and !balance plugins. UlTiiMaTuM 3 3,233 09-10-2013, 02:13
Last Post: UlTiiMaTuM
  Help Modding Zombie Mode DarthKiller 3 4,486 07-09-2013, 21:08
Last Post: Nekochan
  [Tutorial] How to import Weapons from SP to MP in Black Ops using Mod Tools d0h! 114 71,099 05-21-2013, 16:33
Last Post: ZURA.
  [REQUEST] Antinoob mod sleepunknot 3 2,841 05-15-2013, 20:10
Last Post: sleepunknot
Exclamation Cant use COD Tools in maya 2013! Erik The Born 1 2,725 05-01-2013, 10:57
Last Post: Nekochan
  Moab and server request CHRISLUVMSR 6 4,249 04-17-2013, 18:28
Last Post: X-Track
  [Request] Teknogods Expert's Classes 1.5 request The6thMessenger 0 2,259 04-13-2013, 08:22
Last Post: The6thMessenger
  Why there are no modding for Frostbite Engine RaZ 2 3,085 03-30-2013, 17:14
Last Post: Pozzuh