Poll: Good or Useless
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Good
39.29%
11 39.29%
Useless
14.29%
4 14.29%
Steam sucks anyway
25.00%
7 25.00%
omg, another annoying thread by d0h!
21.43%
6 21.43%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
News Steam Guard - Good or Useless
[Image: steamguard.jpg]

Hi Guys

well i noticed today that steam added a new security feature which should help to protect your Steamaccount. Its based on Hardware ID checks (hwid)

First i thought that its pretty cool but what happens if your Steamaccount gets stolen by a trojan?

lets check the pictures:
[Image: unbenanntkg.jpg]

denied:
[Image: snap2011030420h06m44s00.jpg_sized_582x436.jpg]

add another pc:
[Image: steamGuard.png]

activated:
[Image: steamguard3.png]

Most trojans captures the email accounts too..then this System is pretty useless cause another person can easily authorize his PC too.

What do you think about this?

Question

* What is Steam Guard and how does it impact me?
* What do I need to do to take advantage of this additional layer of account security?
* Is there a limit to the number of machines that can be authorized at once?
* I need help! How do I contact Steam Support for assistance with account access once Steam Guard is enabled?
* Will Steam Guard prohibit me from logging into Steam on my PlayStation 3? What about partner sites that sign in through Steam?
* Does Steam Guard take advantage of the Intel Identity Protection Technology solution that Valve and Intel recently announced?

Answer

What is Steam Guard and how does it impact me?

Steam Guard is an additional level of security that can be applied to your Steam account. The first level of security on your account is your login credentials: your Steam account name and password. With Steam Guard, a second level of security is applied to your account, making it harder for your Steam account to fall into the wrong hands.

When Steam Guard is enabled on your account, anyone attempting to login to your Steam account from an unrecognized computer must provide additional authorization. A special access code will be sent to your contact email address, and this code must be entered into Steam before your login is complete.

Once you've verified your email address with Steam, Steam Guard becomes available for your use. Once enabled, you will be required to access your email and provide the special access code from Steam Support when logging into Steam from any computer which we don't recognize.

What do I need to do to take advantage of this additional layer of account security?

1. Update Steam
Steam should automatically update itself but you can force it to update by clicking "Check for Steam Client Updates"
2. Be sure your contact email address is verified with Steam.
You must verify your contact email address with Steam. You can check whether your email address is already verified by visiting Steam Account Settings. A verified address will be marked as "Verified." To verify your email address, follow these instructions.
3. Restart Steam

That's it! With Steam Guard enabled, you will be asked to enter the special access code sent to your email address each time you login to Steam from an unrecognized computer.

Is there a limit to the number of machines that can be authorized at once?

No, there's no limit. Steam Guard is aimed to protect the value that is yours, not limit your access to your stuff. As always, you can access your Steam account and library from as many machines as you'd like.

I need help! How do I contact Steam Support for assistance with account access once Steam Guard is enabled?

Visit Steam Support and create your support account or login to your existing one if you've requested help from our support team in the past. Submit a question with "[Steam Guard]" in its Subject, categorized as "Account Questions" and then "Email Verification." If you have a retail CD Key or last four digits of your credit card as proof you're the account's rightful owner, please enter that too.

Will Steam Guard prohibit me from logging into Steam on my PlayStation 3? What about partner sites that sign in through Steam?

No, Steam Guard will not get in the way of your ability to access your Steam account through Portal 2 on the PS3, nor through partner sites that enable sign in via your Steam account credentials.

Does Steam Guard take advantage of the Intel Identity Protection Technology solution that Valve and Intel recently announced?

No, not in the current release. We hope to offer additional forms of authentication soon though, so you'll have your choice of secondary authentication methods with Steam Guard.

Since you can enable as many computers as you want I like it.

its not good like you said if it will be stolen by trogan but it good for fishing website's ..
so now all fishing website will be shutdown :]
[sory for bad english]

(03-17-2011, 15:02)wezljkz Wrote: its not good like you said if it will be stolen by trogan but it good for fishing website's ..
so now all fishing website will be shutdown :]
[sory for bad english]

It's phishing. Just saying... Lol.

Well I guess it's better than no security right? And you should be able to see all the computers that are authorized. If you can, you will be able to tell if somebody used a trojan to authorize their computer.

[Image: shotgun21970001.jpg]
Made By IMTHEBOSS

If you have a sandy bridge CPU you can give out your password and nothing will happen to your account unless they steal your PC ( what Gayben did)

I guess it's alright

I hacked steam acc with that shit enabled and I managed to log in.. meh

Got activated for my accounts today. Weird that it was unavailable previously.

(03-21-2011, 00:23)[MPGHHouse Wrote: I hacked steam acc with that shit enabled and I managed to log in.. meh

more like you spreaded your trojan shizzle and got his email too

Btw, it is NOT available on my accounts. They just showed me the Update popup that it should be available now but I still can't activate it

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steam OS Nekochan 6 5,719 12-18-2013, 15:51
Last Post: Yamato
  Steam Machine Yamato 3 3,814 11-27-2013, 12:21
Last Post: RaZ
Video Life's Good RaZ 6 4,401 09-09-2013, 22:23
Last Post: RaZ
  Steam keys Arteq 9 7,148 08-29-2013, 18:55
Last Post: DidUknowiPwn
  Selling steam account Nekochan 15 9,569 08-24-2013, 17:14
Last Post: Nekochan
  Help MW3 Steam - Invalid server configuration - insufficient cpu performance mn_acer1 6 8,420 08-02-2013, 22:12
Last Post: mn_acer1
Bug Help Steam one OR Teknogods For LAN nizamani 9 7,283 07-17-2013, 23:02
Last Post: surtek
  COD MW3 multiplayer principals - steam, dedicated ... ottop 11 17,069 07-17-2013, 02:43
Last Post: nizamani
  Steam Summer Sale Romuald27 3 3,427 07-11-2013, 21:50
Last Post: kokole
  Selling steam account for a game! Strentin 3 3,861 06-18-2013, 07:49
Last Post: xfxtroll