• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Tutorial] Modding, the right way.
(08-15-2011, 12:01)Pozzuh Wrote: BO mod tools are not very limited, only limited things are no localization files and no custom sounds import. Rest is fine.

Also the cod4 mod community might have been big for a little while but it hasn't been in years

oh come on, look what you can do with cod4 sdk/radiant and then look into bo tools..
its a HUGH difference, just show me how to make a simple custom room with bo tools
(08-15-2011, 12:06)d0h! Wrote:
(08-15-2011, 12:01)Pozzuh Wrote: BO mod tools are not very limited, only limited things are no localization files and no custom sounds import. Rest is fine.

Also the cod4 mod community might have been big for a little while but it hasn't been in years

oh come on, look what you can do with cod4 sdk/radiant and then look into bo tools..
its a HUGH difference, just show me how to make a simple custom room with bo tools

Well, i'm obviously not talking about Radiant. I just assumed mod tools != radiant
[Image: MaEIQ.png]

What a totally absurd argument, to say a modding community was big at one time, but now 4 years on is dwindling. Do you think the BO modding community will be big in 4 years time? The Half Life modding community was perhaps the biggest modding community there has ever been, but do you think it is so big today? It's a shadow of it's former self.

BTW - I can localize strings and have custom sounds. Why can't you?
The Half-Life and Half-Life 2 modding community is insanely huge.
Localized strings are not in the mod tools. And I only heard about custom sounds not being possible.
[Image: MaEIQ.png]
(08-15-2011, 11:57)d0h! Wrote:
(08-15-2011, 10:55)Tally Wrote:
(08-15-2011, 10:12)Pozzuh Wrote:
(08-15-2011, 09:45)Tally Wrote:
(08-11-2011, 18:54)Pozzuh Wrote: Not true the cod4/waw modding community is really small, BO is much bigger

No, the COD4 modding community was bigger than the BO community is right now. I have been modding for COD since 2003, and have worked at File Front (CODFiles.com) since 2005 (I still work there), and the number of mods submitted to File Front for download for COD4 were/are in their thousands. Same for WaW nazi zombie mods - literally thousands of them.

But it's good that you new guys are giving BO a chance and the modding community is growing. Keep it up.

That were all small mods like editing a skin. I don't call that modding.
The scripting community (gsc,menu files) was really small.

Well, honestly I don't know about cod2<

Most of the mods released for BO are nothing more than script editing/creating so I don't see how the BO modding community is any way different. COD4 has had a lot of really advanced mods, such as my AWE4 and Demon mod, or the ACE mod, or the X4 mod. Also, you have the Star Wars Total conversion mod for COD4. I don't see anything done for BO which even compares with them.

But anyhoo, this isn't a pissing contest. I was merely trying to point out that the COD4 modding community was huge. I was there from the very first day seeing as I was one of the COD4 mod tools beta team, and people flocked to my website to find out how to mod for COD4. When the COD4 tools first came out, they were very different from previous iterations because IW never used fastfiles before. It took some getting their heads round, and they came to me to find out how to do it. So, I saw thousands of people, so I know first hand how big the modding was. Stuck here at this one site, you might get the false impression that mods for BO are big, but they ant. There isn't nearly the same interest in mods for BO as there was for COD4.

2 reasons:

1. BO got mod support after 7 months (cod4 got it after ~8 weeks in January)
2. the mod tool(s) are very limited in BO and its very hard to create new maps, no radiant/SDK

compare the modding ability in cod4 and bo. the tool(s) in BO are nothing compared to Cod4.
also IW had much more intent to keep the players playing their Cod games, nowadays its totally different, everything is about sales, advertising and make money by releasing totally lame DLCs. the main focus is also on console gamers now, no one cares about PC Players

IW have never had any intent to have players playing their games years after the initial release. They make a game, release it, then move on to the next title. People don't seem to realise, we've had a COD game every year since the very first game. It's just that not every COD game in the first 4 years of the franchise came out on all platforms. Many of them never made it to PC (COD3 for example). Activision have always wanted us to play a game, then the next year buy the next title.

And the focus has been on console games since COD2, after all, IW were the first studio to make a game for the 360 - COD2 was the launch title and IW were the first to get the 360 dev kit.
This will be the only ontopic message after 2 pages.

@deadcrayon
1. Do I need to add this in load.gsc? level thread maps\mp\gametypes\zem::main();
2. the threads at onplayerspawned works one life and doesnt in the other and works again at the next one
3. How can I disable forfeit there wasnt a problem about it when I modified _rank.gsc.
(08-15-2011, 23:00)Lemon Wrote: This will be the only ontopic message after 2 pages.

@deadcrayon
1. Do I need to add this in load.gsc? level thread maps\mp\gametypes\zem::main();
2. the threads at onplayerspawned works one life and doesnt in the other and works again at the next one
3. How can I disable forfeit there wasnt a problem about it when I modified _rank.gsc.

Well, there are things you need to do.

Obviously, set gametype in the gsc. Also, do all the gametype.csv files correctly
so it loads your "gametype" whatever that may be.

OnPlayerSpawned = what happens when we spawn the player in the map
OnSpawnPlayer = the moment the player is created in the game

You can take care of forfeit by using the onDeadEvent and just monitoring the
alive player counts.

I have an example of playercounts in my gsc.

The first question, I don't know why you would need that there if you are doing
the gametype.csv files correctly.

Also, you should make your TITLE_SHORT_CAPS (example: INF) match the name of
the GSC file, so if it was ZOM.GSC, then TITLE_SHORT_CAPS would be ZOM in the localized
file and ZOM in the gametype.csv.
crAyon makes no warranty with respect to documents or other information available from this place, assumes no legal liability or responsibility whatsoever for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any such information, and does not represent that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. crAyon disclaims all warranties, express and implied, including the warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Request] Request for Assistance with Modding COD: BO using Mod Tools one1lion 9 6,066 09-17-2013, 21:04
Last Post: one1lion
  Help Modding Zombie Mode DarthKiller 3 4,483 07-09-2013, 21:08
Last Post: Nekochan
  Why there are no modding for Frostbite Engine RaZ 2 3,084 03-30-2013, 17:14
Last Post: Pozzuh
  Modding online custom classes? jarniboi 0 2,421 03-12-2013, 00:21
Last Post: jarniboi
  [Tutorial] Modding Terraria Pozzuh 5 10,396 01-12-2013, 22:27
Last Post: Xeramon
  How or why did you start modding COD games? Bloodfocus 12 6,943 12-25-2012, 13:08
Last Post: alvarogt95
Thumbs Down Help help Modding new fingerweak 1 1,966 10-11-2012, 23:18
Last Post: Rendflex
  Bo modding help needed SamuelGrund 6 3,927 08-30-2012, 15:39
Last Post: SamuelGrund
  Modding tools for BF3 are a scary business Pozzuh 12 7,765 08-18-2012, 15:35
Last Post: Arteq
  Not sure if glitch or modding :S Arteq 5 3,478 08-11-2012, 13:08
Last Post: Metro-Police#45