• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cstrike
Is there anyone who has some advanced knowledge about halflife engine?

I am a half-owner of a cstrike server and I want to optimize it's performance as far as I can.
I have read so many websites about recommendedrate settings, but there are too many differences about what people say.

So any ideas, thoughts or recommendation based on personal experience?
Also have you ever looked under thehl engine's hood ("somehow")?
>hl engine's hood ("somehow")?
Well, the Source engine is basically an open "Source Engine", so it's easy to look under the hood.

But you want server admin advice, not advice about the actual engine. Tickrate of 64 for a public server is fine (with more than 32 players, 32 tick might be good enough as well, if you don't play a melee based gamemode (CS zombies for example)).

Also the only people/server admins I've ever heard complain about performance are admins that use that shitty anti wallhack plugin (SMAC or sth like that). Delete it. It's bad (causes visual artifacts (FaceIt for CS:GO uses it and there are numerous complaints about it on a daily basis) for legitimate clients and drastically decreases performance). It's just not worth it. Get an active admin team and enable VAC and ditch those shitty sourcemod plugins.
(05-31-2016, 23:09)SuperNovaAO Wrote: >hl engine's hood ("somehow")?
Well, the Source engine is basically an open "Source Engine", so it's easy to look under the hood.

But you want server admin advice, not advice about the actual engine. Tickrate of 64 for a public server is fine (with more than 32 players, 32 tick might be good enough as well, if you don't play a melee based gamemode (CS zombies for example)).

Also the only people/server admins I've ever heard complain about performance are admins that use that shitty anti wallhack plugin (SMAC or sth like that). Delete it. It's bad (causes visual artifacts (FaceIt for CS:GO uses it and there are numerous complaints about it on a daily basis) for legitimate clients and drastically decreases performance). It's just not worth it. Get an active admin team and enable VAC and ditch those shitty sourcemod plugins.

Oops, I forgot to mention I mean"goldSrc" (Half-Life 1 and formerly CS 1.6 - now it is simply called Counter-Strike in Steam), not the new "Source" (CSS and CSGO).
For example about a doubt: some sites says goldSrc can handle only 25000 "rate" but I see people commonly uses 25000 as a minrate and 75000-100000 as a maximum allowed in the server cfg.
Those high numbers sound like the update/cmd rate for the server or stuff like that (that rate divided by max players = tick)

At one point, it was a "thing" to advertise your server as "1000 tick", which was literally not possible back then on affordable hardware.

Default rates for goldSrc are/were 100/100 (cmd/update). With the Source Engine, some time after the release of TF2, valve changed the default to be 66 (and changed some other stuff which made the behaviour different).

But GoldSrc is so old now, I don't think any server would have any problem with a tickrate of 128, and even 256. BUT, there are weird things in that engine that make jump-shots/jump-nades behave differently on different tick rates. So if the default tick is 100/100 and you change it to 256/256, experienced players will complain about how their smoke/nadejumps fail constantly.
Closely, there are are 3 rate types: updaterate (max 102), rate (max 100k) and cmdrate (idk max amount, but 128 works yet).
Also there is a sys_tickrate (max 1000, unless you use a mod that unlock the limit) cvar that determines the max server fps - that is what you meant about advertising 1000 tickrate, mainly war servers use that much, others are less.

On the other side our server is set to sys_tickrate 750 but it never goes above ~650 on a clean install, when I install maps, plugins and stuff like that it goes down to ~400 and if user count goes up to 24+ (from 32 max) the server fps goes down to 200 or less and the ping are going higher with about 30% no matter what ping you had before. On every single connection there is a 500kbyte/sec speed limit but I doubt that isn't enough.

Mainly I want to understand why this happens on a server machine that has 6 or 8 cores, 32GB ram and a 100/100mbit dedicated internet connection. I always try to modify/optimize plugins (written in Pawn,it is like C++) as my knowledge allows that with more or less success to lower the generated usage on the server and prevent the lag.