Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acer Aspire One not booting
Exclamation 
Guys please reply as fast as possible beacause this is REALLY an emergency.
I have an Acer Aspire One notebook with ubuntu+windows xp.
It was all working pretty well till I opened it yesterday only to find out that I cannot boot to any of the two operating systems. After the BIOS, it pops a black screen and types
"error 22".
I tried pressing Alt+F10 repeatedly to launch the acer fast recovery and it popped a black screen with something like cmd and I typed "fixmbr" in it.
It booted the fast recovery of windows xp and I chose the second option(only repair the windows files, so that my personal files are kept in a folder in C:/Backup).
I let it finish, it rebooted and then again... error 22. Then I tried again the Alt+F10 solution this time to type "fixboot" in the cmd-like screen. But I wasn't able to, as it booted right into the windows xp easy recovery screen without asking me to type anything, but providing me again with the repair options. I ran the second option once again, rebooted and... error 22.
Guys please help this is an emergency.
Thanks
aka Lone Wolf

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1380415

Follow their steps. I read over it quickly and (might be wrong from only reading some keywords) your HDD is fubar and you should try to autorepair that and if it doesn't work get the HDD replaced.

(06-21-2012, 17:18)SuperNovaAO Wrote: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1380415

Follow their steps. I read over it quickly and (might be wrong from only reading some keywords) your HDD is fubar and you should try to autorepair that and if it doesn't work get the HDD replaced.

ok thanks
aka Lone Wolf

If there is data on that drive and you value it, then STOP RIGHT NOW!

Before you do anything else, take it somewhere you can remove the drive, plug it into a desktop PC and copy the files over.

If no important data, then carry on Smile

(06-21-2012, 19:01)giorgio Wrote: If there is data on that drive and you value it, then STOP RIGHT NOW!

Before you do anything else, take it somewhere you can remove the drive, plug it into a desktop PC and copy the files over.

If no important data, then carry on Smile

yea that was what I was thinking too
but how will I remove the HDD?
aka Lone Wolf

Google it?

It's usually just a case of removing a couple of screws from the back and pulling it out. Sometimes you need to remove the battery and it slides out.

But, if you need a computer to plug it into anyway, it will be easier to just take it to a PC repair shop.

(06-21-2012, 19:35)giorgio Wrote: Google it?

It's usually just a case of removing a couple of screws from the back and pulling it out. Sometimes you need to remove the battery and it slides out.

But, if you need a computer to plug it into anyway, it will be easier to just take it to a PC repair shop.

hm ok I'll google it thanks.
And no, I already have a desktop pc( from which I'm writing those replies LOL Dumb Bitch )
aka Lone Wolf

22 : No such partition
This error is returned if a partition is requested in the device
part of a device- or full file name which isn't on the selected
disk.

Basically, you need to enter the local settings for your Linux, but in most cases, this is pretty hard, only few programs can actually access these "grub" files, and write to ext3.

So basically, you need to plug your HDD into your desktop, if you have a portable HDD, take the case off, and then remove the little SATA connection, (the part witht he usb port in it) then attach that to your laptops HDD, it will work, i have done it myself, but for different reasons, plug the laptop HDD into your Desktop, then reformat into NTFS file type.

Reboot you desktop PC and change the boot sequence to your CD/DVD drive, assuming you already have Linux mounted on a CD, just bott up from the device where linux is, once that is done, install it to your laptop HDD (remember the drive letter when you reformat it).

Once that is done put it back into your laptop, and see how it goes, if that works, you can then uninstall it, install windows, install linux as another OS, and it should work fine.

NOTE:

During installation process, do not change any settings AT ALL, however, during setup i.e after you have installed it and are running it for first time, do not change anything besides the time and date, the language, and your password for the account, if you decide so.

Report back after you have tried this, it should work fine, if not, tell me of any errors you get, and i'll look into it.
[Image: 6vFJ9.png]

All i have to say is.....

lol