ItsMods

Full Version: Laptop-Desktop VS Desktop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Guys, another idea has just popped out of my mind, according to which, instead of buying a gaming desktop, I could buy a gaming laptop.
This way, I am both gonna be enjoying my favorite games while I am away from home
AND plug my keyboard, mouse and monitor to my laptop for when I am home, to make it look like a desktop.
1) Tell me what you guys think of this idea.
2) Recommend such laptops (bear in mind my monitor's resolution is 1440x900). I wanna have a laptop equally powerful as a gaming desktop with core i5 2500k & gtx570 would be, with as minimal performance decrease when I plug it to my monitor as it can be.
Please...
Thanks Big Grin
I have done the same but without external keyboard. Only external mouse + lan cable. I did this for my upcoming study. Anyway: you should be searching for a laptop about 700-1000 euro (875-1250 dollar). Mine was about 950 dollar and it has a i7 processor, gt540m, 17,3" screen and much more. It can run BF3, la noire and cod all on high settings. You shouldn't buy something below this if you are searching for a "gaming" laptop. You can but I am not sure it will play the game like you wish.
Do not buy an HP laptop... Worst decision. Overheats like crazy goes up to 90C playing anything...
yea sorry I forgot that
P.S PEOPLE... GAMES I WANT TO RUN MAX SETTINGS--> Black Ops, Modern Warfare 3, Dirt 3, Black ops 2 etc.
how about that?
msi-gt683r-289us
buying a gaming laptop is waste of money, you pay almost 40% more than you would pay for the same system as a desktop PC.

its much harder to upgrade a laptop
it costs much more to upgrade a laptop
a laptop always gets hotter than any desktop pc which makes it worse if you like to play a few hours on it.

heat = decreases the lifetime of any pc part

i would stay with a desktop pc if i were you
(06-04-2012, 08:21)d0h! Wrote: [ -> ]buying a gaming laptop is waste of money, you pay almost 40% more than you would pay for the same system as a desktop PC.

its much harder to upgrade a laptop
it costs much more to upgrade a laptop
a laptop always gets hotter than any desktop pc which makes it worse if you like to play a few hours on it.

heat = decreases the lifetime of any pc part

i would stay with a desktop pc if i were you

wow, you really got a point there... it just didn't cross my mind, thanks d0h!, I am gonna stay with my gaming desktop now indeed.
I got a gaming laptop and it doesn't necessarily have to be more expensive, In fact I probably would've had to pay more.
But about the overheating part, I can confirm this, sadly Tongue
I was working on some game while the room temperature was high (~30C) and the core temp got up to 90 degrees (which never happend before)
When I was stupid kid I used to put laptop on a pillow in order to play at bed, CPU temp went up to 90+ C LOL but that's another story.

My current laptop used to overheat as well while playing, when it was hot in 2010 it turned off often because of the temperature. Solution - get a cooler pad. I'm very happy with it and it doesn't get that hot anymore. Smile
It has not turned off because of overheating so far while i'm using it, but I'm really having a problem with it turning on while it's in my bag and overheating itself (I put it in sleep mode a lot of times because i'm always working on stuff) but that's another story as well.

Either way, I still have no regrets at all. Loving it.
Pages: 1 2