ItsMods

Full Version: Designing a Program
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OK, so i'm designing a program for my dads company, and he is paying me $500 dollars for it, and i have until Chistmas time to do it, it will be a VERY big program, so i might need a little help here and there Smile

Alright, so what i'm doing is making a program that will track wheels from trucks that are sent in by customers.

so basically this:

1. Customer sends the wheel in to be fixed.

2. Customer wants to know at what stage the wheel is up to (painting,blasting,testing etc etc).

3.Customer pays for the services.

4. Wheel gets sent out back to customer.

So here is the first window The person will see (this is for the employees at the company that will be adding the details of the wheel into the registry).

[Image: qwy44j.jpg]

The button with the arrow pointing at it, is the first button i will tell to open a new window, and this is what i want in it.

It will have a bunch of text boxes, drop down boxes, buttons, check boxes and more, basically after the employee (my dad most likely) enters all the information needed, i want all that information to be saved when he clicks the save button, so it will be saved to a list, that kind of looks like an excel spreadsheet, so a table with columns that correspond with the data tables in the form opened by the button click.

So basically, i want it saved to a form that will look kind of like this.

[Image: 2n8dfyt.jpg]

If you need any more details/pictures.... just ask me to add it.
Well you could save it to an sql database and to display you can use DataGridView.
In general I wouldn't use a program for this, a website might be a much better idea
simple cms system would be all you need
As the Prefix states, i need a tutorial, could one of you possible write one up or find one for me?

My dad wants Program, i could use a live mysql databse, but the company has their own internal server database, which I'll later adapt the program to, but for now, I'm designing a basic skeleton of the database for the program, so later on ill be able to adapt it to the sever, as i'll be in tandem with the server manager/network admin.
Well you could still save the data in a mysql database and a program for the client. In my eyes it shouldn't take more than 4 hours to make in php. But since my php skills are better than making a program I can't tell how much it would take to make it as program.

But my tip would be a website since you can access it everywhere, even from your phone and the benefit is that you don't need to make an extra app for it if you are using a php based system (a.k.a. cms).

Other thoughts: customers can fill in track-code or something like that. Like when you order some goods from China you get a tracking-code that you can fill in @delivering company. The customer can see at what stage it is via the website. He can even fill in his email to get notifications by email. He doesn't need to install a program for it.
pay 500$ to son for an app? give us 50% Troll

ontopic: use MySQL tables, better make some website PHP pages than VB app
As others said, make a website system instead. It'll be accessible on phones and wouldn't require users to download app.
(06-07-2012, 22:12)OrangePL Wrote: [ -> ]As others said, make a website system instead. It'll be accessible on phones and wouldn't require users to download app.

Therefore it will be more popular as some people are afraid of viruses in files they download.
I have just finished talking with my father, and the network admin, we are going to buy a domain for a website:

www.rimexrimregister.com.au

Basically, it will be a a website, where the manager locally, and sales accountant, will constantly update the database with the new information collected daily.

so...

Rim comes in

all details of the rim are logged in a book

details of the rim are added to the private company database

details of the rim are uploaded to the website database

customer gets their personal logon details (created by me)

they logon

they can see whether the rims have been blasted (cleaning the paint off) or tested (for cracks using magnets, black metal particle pain, and white constrast paint) or painted, or ready for sending back to the customer.. (they will only see the rims that are put in the database that have the attachment of their name (e.g. the company Macmahons, will only see rims with the name Macmahons. (so they cant steal information about other rims)

Thats basically how it will work, that is want my father wants, the manager wants, and everybody else wants. I have to incorporate the ideas of about 12-15 people, so it will be a lengthy task, starting from buying the domain, all the to the part where customers can actually access it.
Pages: 1 2